Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Kisses From Haiti

Last night I was reading Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis (which I highly recommend, by the way). She said that God never gives you more than you can handle.

"Because in these times, He shows Himself victorious. He reminds me that all of this life requires more of Him and less of me. God does give us more than we can handle. No maliciously, but intentionally, in love, that His glory may be displayed, that we may have no doubt of who is in control, that people may see His grace and faithfulness shining through our lives."

I thought about what I read before heading out on the water truck. Having experienced this twice already, I know that God always shows up and gives us strength to love and serve in ways that seem impossible. Well, He did just that today-in so many ways.

Between water truck stops we always take a break while the truck refills. I got off the tap tap to find a place in the shade and noticed a mama goat was giving birth. I quickly realized this mama was in great distress. Two babies were on the way out, but were stuck. One was head first and one was butt first. There were a lot of people standing around, but no one really knew what to do. I grabbed some gloves from the first aid kit and got to work. I was able to pull the first goat out by the head, but it was lifeless. The second one came easier, but was struggling. Then mama surprised us with yet another baby. The third delivered fine and within minutes was trying to take its first steps.
 


What I thought was a hopeless situation turned out to be another way that God showed up and did the impossible.

And that was just the animals. Our entire team shared other ways that God allowed us to do more than we could handle. Picking up sick babies laying alone on dirt floors, carrying heavy water buckets until our arms burned, and learning of bodies discarded in a garbage dump that these beautiful people call home are just a few examples. But somehow as we surrendered those horrifying situations to Him, He showed up and did the impossible. And we were filled with joy-more than we can handle.

Glwa pou bondye!
Mackenzie Bjorklund

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful experience! Praying & holding each of you close to my heart as you help to be the hands & feet of our Lord while giving your time & love to the beautiful people of Haiti!

    ReplyDelete